Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Your Realtor Might be a Veteran if...


Everyone that has been anywhere near a military post is used to military habits that just don’t quit, even if you try your hardest. When I entered the Real Estate profession I had been out of the Army for roughly 10 years. 10 years! And I still have many of the habits associated with those that are still in or are veterans. Here is a list of possible habits you can expect from me or any other realtor who is a veteran.
  • Range walk. If we get to a property and you see me “moving with a purpose,” you may want to follow. If I turn and yell, “you better be range walking!” You should remind me of what we are doing. When someone says range walk it means you better be walking at the fastest speed possible without running. We have all seen speed walkers. Well, increase that because you are scared that your leader is about to put “boot-to-butt”.
  • Meals. If we pause long enough to eat a meal, don’t be shocked if everything on my plate is gone in seconds instead of minutes. The only eating utensil I used to use was a table spoon; no knife, no fork, just a spoon. If a filet of any type is associated with the meal, all manners are gone! (Disclaimer: After 10 years I have become more acclimated to eating in public.)
  • Military Terminology. OK, if you ask me a question and the response normally would be a Yes, then I could say “Roger.” If the answer is No, expect “Negative” or “Negativ-o”. Because of not always working in normal working conditions while in the Army, I learned a great deal of hand and arm signals and learned to always use a thumbs up for positive responses and thumbs down for negative responses. There are many others but I only realize those as they happen. Please do not take offense, it is just stuck with me.
  • Pointing. Because I spent a great deal of my military time giving training, presentations, doing Jumpmaster duties and briefings there is a certain way to point to things that are the subject of the discussion. Don’t expect a finger to pop out, expect the entire hand and arm. Think of those people you see on the runways (with vests and flashlights) when planes are moving around near the terminals. They use their entire hand and arm when they are directing the planes. Well, sometimes when I am pointing at something in a property showing I will use my entire arm in a waving motion in the direction of the subject. This is so I catch your eyes and carry them to where I am wanting your attention.
  • Eye Protection. I know, sunglasses right?! Well, I have it ingrained in me to wear something to protect my eyes with either tinted, yellow or clear lenses for any and every purpose. Since I have aged a little bit, I now have my own full time eye protection and don’t have to be looked at strangely for carrying glasses that allow for changing up to 3 different lens types. Don’t judge me!
  • Work/Rest Cycles. If we are out looking at houses and the temperature hits a certain level, don’t be shocked when I tell you and your family to “Drink Water!” in a fairly direct and obnoxious tone. If, for some reason, we get held up waiting for anything during a showing, I may just lean against a wall or sit on the porch and take a little nap. Don’t mind me, I can sleep anywhere.
  • Sitting with my Back to a Door. This is a major No-Go! Unfortunately, I have it ingrained in me to “scan my sector” and formulate a P.A.C.E plan for everything I do. That plan covers Primary, Alternate, Contingency and Emergency routes and differences. For instance, if we stop to eat, I will take the seat that is against a hardened surface or wall that will allow me to see every entrance and exit and then I will have a plan for Exfiling the restaurant with the most direct route possible based on all of the different probabilities.
  • Driving. I still get the urge to swerve around any and every piece of whatever is in the road. Again, don’t mind me!
These are just a few of the many quirks that you may run into when working with me or any other military veteran who is your realtor. If and when you want to work with a realtor who will understand you, the life you lead, and what some people call nuances of being a veteran, I am right here. Have an awesome day!

#RealtorRickTN #clarksvilletnrealtor #‎clarksvilletnrocks #VeteranRealtor #MindfulRealEstate 

No comments:

Post a Comment